Sunday, June 26, 2005

Become more macho or risk your extinction, men told

British men are being told to be alert to a condition that could "put them on the fast track to extinction". Symptoms of the "illness" that has been dubbed "mantropy" include a penchant for pedicures, fruit smoothies and small dogs. American Maxim, one of the biggest-selling men's magazines in the world, has defined mantropy as "a silent killer which strikes men in the prime of life". The magazine has been urging American men to be macho rather than manicured and to indulge their passion for cars rather than clothes. The campaign coincides with research that shows that men and women are being increasingly turned off by media images of well-groomed, feminine-looking men. More than three-quarters of men questioned as part of the Leo Burnett Man Study believed that images of men in advertising are out of touch with reality. Sixty per cent of the 2,000-strong sample said that their masculinity was defined by their status within the home and workplace, not by the way they looked. This research reinforces the findings of a poll published in April which found that 90 per cent of women preferred a man who was "low-maintenance and easy-going". The magazine's website says: "If you are male, you're at risk. Mantropy knows no social or economic boundaries, attacking men of all races and tax brackets without warning."

3 Comments:

At June 26, 2005 2:14 PM, Blogger David said...

man! that is a great piece. I presume it is legitimate. if so, I'd like to see more of this stuff. Men were ordained as the 'head of the home' not 'kneel down and beg honey'. I'm a man, and, as much as I dearly appreciate my wife making me wear what helps me look sharp and good looking (I'm telling you, I need a lot of help in that department...), I still don't want a colour through my hair, or my nails done and skin care products stuck all over me (although, admittedly, in winter, my skin gets totally dry... its not nice). women run New Zealand. Well, hey they do a pretty good job, but when there's an issue, guys just 'slug it out' then have a beer about it in the pub (kind of thing), but when women get narcked, especially guys who act like girls, then all hell breaks loose. thats enough from me... for the moment...

 
At June 26, 2005 8:11 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Who reads Maxim?

 
At June 27, 2005 7:00 AM, Blogger bordergal said...

The female mind does not critisize, (analize) like the male mind....

Nope, I can PERSONALLY guarantee that I don't critisize and analize (was that a freudian slip there?) like the male mind in that last post.

I can also guarantee that most men in the US are not at risk from this dread disease (except for ACLU lawyers and possibly liberal sociology professors).

Besides, who wants to have to wait in line at the nail salon?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home